Glass Bond Protocol
WARNING: Always work with Glass Free in a hood.
- For preparing glass plates for gel casting, Glass Free is to be used only on the removable upper plate. Clean the glass with detergent, water, distilled water, and methanol.
- After the plate is thorougly dry immerse it in a dish of Glass Free for 5 minutes, making sure that all areas of the glass are well covered by the reagent. Remove any trapped air bubbles. Use latex, PVC or polyethylene gloves.
- Remove the glass plate from the Glass Free vessel and thoroughly rinse it with an organic solvent such as toluene, xylene or mineral spirits.
- Rinse the solvent off with methanol. Lightly buff out the methanol with a paper towel. The plates are now ready for use. Store them in a plastic bag and interleaved with paper.
- To reuse a plate that has previously been treated with Glass Free wash the plate with water and distilled water, and follow by a ﬁnal rinse with methanol and buff.